Basic Activity Info
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Gymnasium (large indoor space)
- Outdoor - Field
Participants do the designated actions that correspond with the Fall related word(s).
Rope or pylons to mark off the two ends of the activity space (or use the two end lines in a gym).
Participants start by standing behind a line at one end of the activity space.
- Participants will start standing behind one line, which will be called "Summer".
- The line on the other end of the activity space is called "Winter".
- In between these two lines is where the Fall actions will take place.
- Instruct participants that whenever the leader says "Summer" they run to the summer line, and whenever the leader says "Winter", they run to the winter line.
- As they are running between the lines, the leader will call out fall words and their actions (see below) and the participants will stop and do that action.
- Then the leader will call another action or one of the lines.
- After participants have done each action a few times, this can become an elimination activity.
- The last participant to do the correct action is eliminated for the round and can help the leader(s) judge who was the last participant to do an action.
- Fall words and their actions:
- Leaves Falling: Participants put their arms in the air and then shake them all the way down to the floor/ground.
- Pile of Leaves: Participants jump in the air and end in a crouching position.
- Rake the Leaves: Participants pretend to hold a rake and rake up the leaves.
- Leaves Turning "Colour": Participants stand with their arms above their head and together (forming an "O" shape, or in this case, a tree), and do a full circle around.
- Pumpkin: Participants crouch down and get into a ball and put one finger sticking up at the top of their end (represents the stem on a pumpkin).
- Autumn: Participants skip around the activity area.
- Scarecrow: Participants stand with their arms out and legs spread out.
- Scarecrow with one foot: Participants stand with their arms out and balance on one leg.
Remove any safety hazards and obstacles from the activity area.
Remind participants to be aware of their surroundings and to keep their head up.
Change the actions with the word(s) and/or use different word(s) and create the actions to go with those.
When participants are running to the summer line, they have to pretend to swim using their arms. When they are going to the winter line, they have to pretend that they are walking through deep snow, and take big steps.
Developed for the Leisure Information Network. www.lin.ca