Basic Activity Info
- Creative Art
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Classroom (small indoor space)
Participants will explore foods high in fibre and begin to discuss the benefits of fibre for a strong and healthy heart.
Variety of grocery store flyers
Photocopy one template for each participant (attached), or create your own and photocopy that heart.
Visit grocery store for a large stack of weekly flyers.
- Have participants look through the grocery store flyer and cut and paste foods that are high in fibre onto their heart template. Encourage participants to have no blank spaces on their collage.
- Explain to participants that eating more sources of fibre can help lower our cholesterol and reduce our risk of heart disease in the future.
- Notice the types of food they are selecting and encourage participants to find ways to incorporate the foods into their daily snacks.
- Have participants Mod Podge their heart once they have finished. This will add a polished clear coat to their artwork.
- Take a picture of each participant holding his or her healthy heart (optional). Make sure you have consent to take their picture.
- Add ½ cup of fruit on top of vanilla yogurt
- Add spinach to your salad
- Mix in beans or extra vegetables in your lasagna
- Substitute brown rice for white rice on your stir fry
Remind participants of the importance of using scissors safely.
Have the leader create their own heart template, or have participants create their own. On any size piece of paper, draw a heart as large as you wish and then photocopy that for each participants. Or, provide each participant with a piece of paper and have them draw their own heart on it (make sure they are about the same size).
Pre-cut items out of the flyers, some high with fibre and some not, and have the participants choose the items that are high with fibre.
Have participants who are blind or visually impaired work with another participant.
Provide simple explanations and reinforce information as required.
YMCA of Greater Toronto, Durham Region