Basic Activity Info
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Classroom (small indoor space)
Using desks or tables, participants will create their own beat using only their hands, and try to remember the beat sequence.
Desks or tables
Divide participants into groups of 4-6 and have them sit in a circle (or so they can all see each other).
- Groups will select which participant will go first (the oldest, the shortest, alphabetically or another way to decide).
- Participants are only allowed to use their hands to create the beat.
- The first participant will start the beat sequence.
- They could hit the table with two hands, one hand, clap, snap, hit the table with the back of their hand(s), hit the table with 1 finger and so on.
- Encourage participants to be creative!
- The next participant in the circle, going clockwise, will then do the first participant's beat and then create the second beat.
- The third participant will do the first two beats and then create the third beat.
- If a participant misses a beat or does the wrong beat, then they are either out for the round, or they get a letter.
- If they are out for the round, they get back in when another participant does a wrong beat or misses a beat.
- If they get a letter, they are still in, and when a participant spells "BEAT", or "HAND", or another word, then they are out for the remainder of the activity.
- When a participant misses a beat or does the wrong beat, the next participant will continue the beat. If 2-3 participants mess up the beat in a row, then the participants will start a new beat sequence.
Remind participants to be gentle when hitting the table.
When a participant misses a beat or does the wrong beat, then the beat sequence will start over again.
Participants create their own beat sequence as a group and then perform it to the rest of the group.
Developed for the Leisure Information Network. www.lin.ca