Basic Activity Info
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Gymnasium (large indoor space)
- Outdoor - Field
For participants to catch the ball when their name is called, and to not spell "potato"
A ball (or a potato!)
Whiteboard and whiteboard marker or paper and pen would be helpful in keeping track of letters.
Participants form a circle.
One participant is 'It' and stands in the middle of the circle holding a ball.
Aim of the Game
To be the last participant to spell the word potato.
- 'It' throws the ball high up in the air and shouts out the name of another participant.
- That participant must try to catch the ball.
- If that participant catches the ball, he becomes 'It'.
- If that participant misses the ball they gets the letter P; if they miss the ball a second time they get the letter O, and so on.
- Once a participant has spelled the word potato, they are out of the game.
Ensure that the floor is not slippery and is free from all obstacles.
Remove any obstacles or safety hazards from the area
Number off each participant, and the participant in the middle yells out a number when they throw the ball in the air.
Some participants may lack comparable coordination. Consider having “it” throw the ball directly towards these participants, and/or allowing the ball to bounce once.
Consider tying a plastic grocery bag around the ball so that participants who are blind or visually impaired can hear it.
Passport To Games Resource Guide