Basic Activity Info
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Gymnasium (large indoor space)
- Outdoor - Field
For participants to throw the beanbags (hat, sunglasses and sunscreen) into the sun (hoop) to protect themselves from the sun's rays.
5-6 hoops per group
Divide participants into 3 equal groups.
Set up three stations side by side. Each station will have 3-4 hoops in a straight line. Then a couple metres in front of those hoops place another hoop, this will be the throwing hoop. Place a pylon around 15-20 feet in front of the throwing hoop and a rope around 5-10 feet in front of the throwing hoop.
Behind each row of hoops place 10 or so beanbags in a pile; have the same amount of beanbags for each group.
- Each station will represent a different way to be protected from the sun. These stations are: hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Have one group start at each station and stand by the beanbags behind each station.
- Those beanbags represent the sun protection object for each group.
- One participant from each group will start as the sun for their group.
- The sun will take a hoop and put it over them so they are holding it around their stomach.
- The sun will stand by the cone at the back of their station.
- When the game begins, the first participant from each group is going to take a beanbag and jump through the hoops (ways each group has to jump is at the end of this section). They will then run to the single hoop (throwing hoop) with the beanbag.
- As they are doing this, the sun will run into the open space between the cone and throwing hoop, but they cannot go closer than the rope.
- When the participant gets into the throwing hoop with their beanbag, they underhand throw it, trying to get it in the hoop the sun is holding around them. The sun can run around to try to get it to go in their hoop, but they cannot go past the rope. When they get it in the hoop, the participant has helped to protect themselves from the sun's rays.
- If it goes in the hoop, then the sun will pick it up and run to their cone. They will drop the beanbag behind their cone, run around the cone and then run back to the open space in front of the rope. The participant that threw the beanbag will go collect another beanbag and go through the hoops again.
- If the beanbag misses the sun, then the sun will throw the beanbag back to the participant, and they will have to go through the hoops again.
- Only one participant can be in the throwing hoop at a time for each group.
- Once a participant has jumped through the hoops, then the next participant can begin.
- The first group to get all their beanbags (sun protection objects) in the sun, and behind their cone wins.
- Have participants switch sun protection stations, and change who is the sun for the next round.
- Ways to jump for each group:
- Hat: They have to put the beanbag (hat) on their head and jump in the hoops; they can hold the beanbag with one hand.
- Sunglasses: They have to hold the beanbag to one eye.
- Sunscreen: They have to hold the beanbag against their shoulder and rub it down to their elbow as they are jumping through the hoops.
Remind participants that it is an underhand throw, and not throwing the beanbag at the participant holding the hoop.
Remove any safety hazards and obstacles from the play area.
Remind participants to be aware of their surroundings and to keep their head up.
Ensure the groups are spaced out, so the suns do not run into each other.
Select different sun protection objects to use for each group (umbrella, shade).
Create different jumping station, or obstacles before participants get to the throwing hoop.
Have two suns per group.
Participants will throw tennis balls or foam balls.
Developed for the Leisure Information Network. www.lin.ca