Basic Activity Info
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Gymnasium (large indoor space)
- Outdoor - Field
Participants to follow instructions and do the activity that is said as quick as possible.
Rope or pylons (optional)
If outdoors, set up two ends using rope or pylons that are approximately 20 meters apart from each other. If indoors and in a gym, use the two end lines and make sure there is space between the lines and wall.
Have participants standing on one end.
- It's summer time! In order to enjoy this time of year, participants have to follow some rules.
- Participants will start by standing on one end, which is the "shade", and when the leader yells "shade!", this is the line where they have to run to.
- If the leader yells "sunshine!", they have to run to the other end and stand on that line, which is the sunshine line!
- Have participants practice running to either end. The leader will say "sunshine!" or "shade!" and then before or after the participants reach that end, the leader will call the opposite end, and participants will have to run there, and so on.
- Next, add further actions (for all these actions, participants must stop where they are and do them without moving from that spot)
- "Sunscreen!", participants rub sunscreen on their face, arms, legs, back and tummy.
- "Swimming!", participants lie down on their belly's and start to swim using their arms and legs.
- "Roller Coaster!", participants put both hands in the air and bend their legs up and down while leaning in all directions.
- "Hydrate!", participants will pretend to hold a water bottle and start to drink the water.
- "Wave!", participants will stop and when the leader says "now!", they will all jump in the air.
- "Hot Sand!", not moving from where they stopped, participants have to hop on one foot and then the other, just like walking on hot sand.
- "Chalk Fun", participants will get down on their knees and pretend to draw something with chalk on the ground.
- After explaining and demonstrating the different actions, have the participants practice doing all actions.
- Leader can say any action whenever, could be a quick transition from one to another.
- After they have practiced all the different actions, the elimination round can begin.
- The last participants to do the correct action for each instruction, is out.
- Continue until there is one participant remaining.
Remove any safety hazards
Remind participants to keep their heads up when running and to be aware of their surroundings.
Add different actions.
Have a participant calling the actions.
Try to choose “actions” which correspond with the strengths of all participants. Remember that some participants with disabilities may lack comparable endurance and stamina. Be aware of this and while challenging these participants, do not unduly pressure or overwork them.
Have another participant guide those who are blind or visually impaired, as needed.
Developed for the Leisure Information Network. http://lin.ca/