Basic Activity Info
- Large Group
- Medium Group
- Small Group
- Outdoor - Field
Participants play one or more water balloon games. Perfect for a hot summer day!
Optional: Plastic baseball bat, hoops/bases/cones
Bathing suits or clothes that participants can get wet
Have the water balloons prepared.
Have the other equipment prepared for the activities. Please see the step-by-step section for equipment required for each activity.
Water Balloon Toss and Catch
- Divide participants into pairs or groups of 3.
- Have participants stand a couple metres apart.
- They toss the water balloon back and forth.
- Participants are trying to get the water balloon to pop when the other participant catches it.
- They can stand further and further apart after each catch.
- Give each pair or group multiple water balloons to use.
Water Balloon Parachute
- Have a big parachute and a bunch of water balloons prepared.
- Put the water balloons on top of the parachute.
- Each participant will hold a side to the parachute.
- On the count of the 3, they will lift the parachute in the air so the water balloons fly in the air as well.
- Participants are trying to get the water balloons away from them and towards other participants.
- Have a few participants stand on the outside of the parachute, and they try to catch any water balloons that are hit off the parachute.
- Make teams, and each participant on the outside is part of a different team. Every time they catch a water balloon, their team gets a point.
Water Balloon Baseball
- Have A LOT of water balloons prepared.
- Divide participants into teams of 3-4 participants.
- Set up the bases (hoops/cones) like a baseball diamond.
- The leader will be the pitcher.
- One team will bat at a time.
- Each participant will get 2-3 water balloons thrown to them.
- If they hit and pop both, then they get a double and run to the second base.
- If they hit one balloon, they run to first base.
- If the first participant gets to second base and the next participant on their team gets a double, then the first participant runs home.
- After all of the participants have gone up to bat, then the next team goes.
- Play so each group gets the same amount of turns.
Toss and Catch: Remind participants to not whip the water balloon at the participants when passing the water balloon to them.
Water Balloon Baseball: Ensure that participants are not standing close to the participant that is batting.
Remove any obstacles or safety hazard from the area.
Toss and Catch: Have participants get into groups and have two or more water balloons being thrown at the same time.
Parachute: Have water balloons and balls on the parachute. Participants try to knock off the balls or balloons, depending on the task and if there are teams.
Baseball: Participants are on two teams. Every time a participant misses a water balloon, it could be an out.
Developed for the Leisure Information Network. www.lin.ca