Parks and Recreation Ontario (PRO) along with other national, provincial and territorial associations were involved in the development of a national policy on affordable access to recreation. PRO has set an objective and action plan to create awareness of the issue, build partnerships committed to action and provide tools and resources to help mobilize communities to provide recreation without barriers for low-income families, especially children and youth.
In 2005, PRO endorsed a national policy statement and established the Ontario Task Group on Affordable Access to Recreation, comprised of members from a broad representation of partners. The Task Group has positioned affordable access to recreation within a variety of provincial Ministries and initiatives, such as Poverty Reduction and Roots of Youth Violence.
Resources and tools here include:
- National Policy Statement
- Affordable Access to Recreation for Ontarians Policy Framework
- Policy Development and Implementation Guide for Communities
- CPRA National Policy on Access to Recreation (2005)
- Parks and Recreation Ontario Resolution supporting National Policy on Access to Recreation for Low-Income Families (2006)
- Promising Practices Guide (2008)
- Sample Municipal Access Policy and Report
- Position Statement (2000)
- Task Group Member Links
- Other related Research and Reports