This study examines the state of afterschool recreation programming and identifies opportunities for engaging recreation practitioners and allied stakeholders in developing a provincial strategy for action to create quality afterschool programs as a way to use those hours for constructive, healthy activities.
Review of relevant research;
- Interviews with recreation practitioners and others providing afterschool programs at local and provincial levels;
- An online survey sent to 120 municipal recreation departments;
- A macro analysis of community/school joint use agreements in Alberta;
- Review of promising cases and extrapolation of best practices;
- A discussion forum to review the research and consult on next steps for the sector, and specifically for ARPA.