This handbook (available for purchase) includes theory, tips and activities to assist in teaching motor skills with specific adaptations for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Down Syndrome, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Developmental Coordination Disorder, and Intellectual Disabilities. All the skills taught in this resource address the three major skill categories within the LTAD Model: stability skills, object manipulation skills, and locomotor skills.
This resource is a user-friendly, multi-sensory teaching tool that provides:
- a description and characteristics of the mature movement patterns for the 12 fundamental motor skills
- a continuum of prompts (physical, visual, verbal, none) for each skill
- behavioural management and pedagogical considerations for each disability
- general inclusion tips to help the teacher/coach allow for maximum participation and development of the student
- a variety of specific adaptations for each of the motor skills based on a student's needs
- a number of activities that utilize the motor skills and allow for modification based on needs