- Ripe bananas
- Optional but a little less healthy! Can add a little bit of cocoa powder or honey, mini-chocolate chips, or for healthier options, peanut (or other nut-free) butter, blueberries or other fruit.
Freezer proof container
Food processor or blender
- Peel the bananas, cut in slices, and place in an airtight container.
- Freeze for at least two hours.
- Blend in a food processor or blender - the mixture will go through various stages. Blend until it is very smooth and creamy and a bit aerated.
- Freeze in an airtight container
Variations: Add extras before blending, and if desired, sprinkle a few more additions, such as chipits or blueberries, after blending. If making peanut butter banana ice cream, use about 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter per banana, or to taste.
For ice cream "bites," freeze in lightly greased mini-muffin tins and just pop them out as needed.
Tips: Several recipes suggest adding a very small amount of milk to help blend the frozen bananas, only about 1 tbsp per 2 bananas.