- 1 can, 19 oz or (540 ml) black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp or 5 ml Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp or 1 ml Black pepper
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tsp or 5 ml Lemon juice
- 1/2 Medium onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup or 125 ml Chopped tomatoes
Food processor or blender, Stove
- Drain the beans. Place the beans and 2 tbsp water in a blender container.
- Add chili powder, black pepper, Tabasco, and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth to make puree.
- Combine onions and garlic in a large nonstick frying pan.
- Cover and cook over low heat until the onions are soft. Uncover and cook, stirring, until slightly browned.
- Combine the bean puree with the onion mixture. Add the tomatoes and mix well.
- Add 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cumin for more flavour.
- Replace garlic cloves with 3/4 tsp (3 ml) garlic powder.
Serve hot or cold with baked whole grain tortilla chips or whole grain pita crisps.
Use leftover dip as a filling for burritos. Spread on tortillas; add tomatoes, lettuce and grated cheese; roll up.
Government of Alberta, Healthy U