- Zucchinis - washed and sliced either in rounds for pizza "bites" or lengthwise for a "boat" OR
- Eggplants (young, older ones can become bitter)- washed and sliced in rounds
- Pizza sauce
- Olive oil - enough to lightly spread on the tops of the pizza base
- Cheese - mozzarella and parmesan work well
- Toppings - pepperoni, sliced tomatoes, onion slices, sliced peppers, sliced mushroom, etc
- For zucchini bites, cut the zucchini in rounds (no need to peel)
- For zucchini boats, cut the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. You may need to slice a bit off the bottom to make the boat lie flat
- For eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices and wipe dry
- Brush tops of "pizza" base with olive oil
- Spread pizza sauce over the base
- Add your choice of toppings over the pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle each pizza with grated cheese.
- Place pizzas in preheated oven (see below for options) for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Baking instructions for zucchini: Some recipes suggest 350 F for about 20-25 minutes, others 400 F for 12-18 minutes, others suggest broiling for 2-3 minutes.
Baking instructions for eggplant: Bake the eggplant at 350-425 F for about 15-20 minutes BEFORE spreading with the toppings, then broil for 3-5 minutes.